Building Inspiring Spaces
Architecture Inspires Emotions Everyday
The exact impact of architecture on mood and emotions is surprisingly well documented for such a new line of thought. With the onset of modern wireless technology, it has been possible to monitor things like heart rate, blood pressure, and brain waves. This is particularly important since most people have a hard time admitting to others, even in scientific surveys, that they are genuinely uncomfortable going through a stretch of space that ordinary people walk through every day.
The Emotions Caused By Architecture
One element of note is that people are legitimately influenced (and heavily so) by complex building facades. While this may seem to be a no brainer, the evidence does suggest that a more complex building facade improves the mood of the people walking away around. Massive, monolithic and blank buildings tend to put people around them on edge. Among other architectural mistakes over the decades are a number of public housing projects. Residents were so alienated by the bland look of the world around their homes that depression increased radically.
More successful and less alienating building facades tend to improve the mood of those walking by. In Lower Manhattan, one of the most intense and stressful urban areas on the planet, a study using advanced monitoring methods was performed. The study had a group of people walk past a generic chain grocery store, causing their arousal and moods to sink considerably. Many picked up their pace to try and get away from the place. Going further down the street, the test subjects were walked past a stretch of restaurants and stores with more complex facades, which caused the moods and energy levels of the subjects rise considerably.
Another element of architecture that improves the human condition is the creation of “green spaces” in an area. While this can be somewhat difficult to integrate into every building project, it has been shown through several studies that easy access and visibility of a natural area with healthy plants improves the moods of those living and working near them. Even planting trees around a building improves the attitudes and emotions of those who spend a great deal of time around these buildings.
Room Structures Are Just As Important As Buildings
It should also be noted that many studies have concluded that rooms that are constructed with curved edges with rounded contours tend to make people more comfortable than sharp edged rectangular spaces. Though architects and designers have long preferred the opposite, it does seem that buildings with more architectural variety and less monotony put people at ease. In a similar vein, variety in the size and shape of buildings also tends to help people’s moods as well.
Finally, it should be noted that ease of navigation through a community itself tends to be helpful in letting people feel comfortable rather than always lost. While rounded curves in a room may create a soothing variety in a building, having a hard time finding your way through a building no matter how elaborately designed can only harm a person’s mood.
Even if people don’t realize it, the architecture around them influences their everyday moods. While the “broken window” theory has long since been disproven, it is true that living in run down or poorly designed areas can leave a person feeling depressed. It may not make the crime rates rise, but it doesn’t help anything, either.
So when you’re looking into architectural planning, or simply remodeling a business or home office, plan out what kind of architecture will inspire. It’s important, and it may be the difference between being productive and failing altogether.
Hiring A Construction Company With A Difference
Do you have a construction project in mind and want to turn it into reality? Whether it’s building a new home, renovating your existing one, or planning for a home extension, you need the services of a reputable construction company. Searching for one is easy, as you can ask friends or search online to compile a list quickly. But finding a construction company with a difference is another story. Here are some tips to help you choose a dependable construction company.
1) How long has the company been in business?
Years of experience is an important factor to consider as it can tell a lot about the company. The construction industry sees countless companies go down before they even establish their names. Such is the competitive nature of the industry, so the ones that remain in business must be doing something right. This also means you will have more past projects to look at, allowing you to get an idea of what to expect from the company. Of course, this doesn’t mean you should always assume that older companies are always better than newer ones.
2) Does the company have a permanent address?
Everything under the sun can be found online these days, but never settle for any company that only makes promises through their website. You will want to speak with the contractor at one point or another, so be sure that they have a permanent address. It’s easy to manufacture this information, so verify whether the indicated address is legitimate. You can do this by using Google Earth or looking at their project history.
3) Are they working with sub-contractors?
Unless you are working with a full-service construction company, there’s a good chance that you will find yourself dealing with sub-contractors as well. You might not see any problems at first, but this process often results in a lot of headaches. Sure, it’s possible that the company may have a list of trustworthy sub-contractors which they have worked with in the past. But you still need to vet the qualifications of the sub-contractors and ensure that a solid communication system is established for all parties involved.
4) Can the company commit financially to the project?
Many fail to consider to company’s ability to commit financially to whatever construction project you may have. This proves critical, as you do not want to find yourself with a project halfway done because the company decided to call it quits all of a sudden. Don’t hesitate to ask about the financial health of the company. You can request to look at their credit reports, for instance.
5) Do they provide references?
It’s always a good idea to ask for valid references before hiring any company. This gives you the opportunity to measure their workmanship and overall customer service. Speaking with past clients allows you to ask relevant questions to help you come up with an educated decision.
6) Are you being valued as a client?
The last thing you want is for the construction company to consider you as just another client. You never want to feel like the company only tries to complete the project at the soonest possible time to take your money and move on to the next client. Observe how the company treats you from the beginning and whether they change somewhere along the road. A company that takes your best interests in mind is one with which you can’t go wrong. And since this construction project is probably among the biggest investments you’ll ever make, avoid taking shortcuts and interview several companies to see which one matches your needs and budget.
Complete Renovation Services
Complete renovations are done for many reasons, and if you haven’t consider a complete renovation, now is the time to start. There are many benefits of having your home completely renovation. Let’s discuss five of the benefits of having one done.
1. Upgrades- If you do a complete renovation and the company that does it is up to date with the latest trends and technology, then you’ll enjoy having a home that will feature updated technology, materials and other quality upgrades. If you’re unsure what is trending or what kind of renovation you want done, then don’t worry because a professional will sit with you and create a blueprint for you to look at. You’ll be able to tell them what kind of appliances you’d like to have installed, how much space you want created, the types of tiles or flooring you want and things of that nature. Once all of the details are figured out, the renovations can begin and you’ll soon be living in a fully upgraded home.
2. Increased Comfort- Sooner or later, your home might not meet your needs or your situation might have changed throughout the years, such as your family has grown or you are in a position where you can work from home and would like an office built, and this means your home could do with a complete renovation. When your home is renovated, then it will provide you with more comfort, more room and more enjoyable. Best of all, you won’t have to spend money on buying a brand new home, relocating and spending money related to moving costs.
3. Increase The Value Of Your Home- One of the easiest and most effective ways to increase the value of a home is to renovate it. Sure, renovating one or two rooms will increase the value to an extent, but if you want to increase it by a lot, then you’ll want to do a complete renovation. Complete renovations will make your entire home look brand new again and if you ever decide to sell it, you can rest assure you can get top dollar for it. Remember, upgraded homes are what many prospective home buyers are looking for.
4. Lower Energy Costs- If you do a complete renovation of your home, then you could end up reducing energy costs by a lot. This is because the insulation will be upgraded, new windows will be installed and appliances will be upgraded. These are only a few changes that can reduce energy consumption in your home, but your contractor will discuss what other things you can do and whether or not you want to have those things done. If you want to reduce energy bills and make your home more energy efficient, then look into a complete renovation.
5. Reduce Maintenance Costs- Newer homes or newly upgraded homes don’t require as much maintenance as older homes. Think about it, as a home ages, it becomes more prone to leaks and damages, which costs money to fix. A complete renovation of your home will reduce maintenance costs and the chances are you won’t have to make any major repairs to it for years to come, which may not be the case with your current home, especially if it is a very old one.
Complete renovations are worth looking into. If you want a fully upgraded home, increase your comfort, reduce maintenance costs and utility costs, then get a complete renovation done as soon as possible. Remember, those are only a few benefits of doing it. Also, make sure you hire a company with plenty of experience.
Custom Homes Built And Designed
Quality custom homes is what it’s all about when you are building your dream home. You want everything just right, and that requires the best contractors, the best blueprints and the best building materials. Have you made any important decisions yet, or are you waiting for that consultation first to get going? You might want to wait until you’re in front of a competent building contractor first, but your mind is certainly already brewing with ideas. Add these tips to help you consider what to do when building a home as well as what not to do.
Building a home is a big deal, a huge investment when it comes to cost, no matter the savings tips you employ. That being said, while you want everything to go right as planned, you also don’t want to be too strict from the get go. One important tip is to not be held to a floor plan. This goes for what your contractor suggests doing and what you buy into doing. You are going to have your ideas as mentioned, but you want to be sure that you aren’t selling your ideas short with a regular floor plan. Customize solutions according to your budget along the way.
You want a quality custom built home designed just for you and according to all your needs and suggestions. When getting bids for this project, you will notice a lot more than just the numbers, too. So before you even narrow down the project to one contractor, you want to be sure that you aren’t just going by the numbers. It is important to consider all aspects of the project and to also have a dedicated budget at the same time as mentioned earlier.
You want a building contractor that knows the material choices and custom features for each aspect of the project, too. This requires that he be networked with and have a team of competent contractors from all industries. A building project requires many different types of contractors, and it can of course also depend on what you need done.
While you’re on a budget, and you are excited about getting started right away, you also need to understand that the project of custom building your dream home is certainly going to take some time. Not only does the building itself take time, but you have to really be around at times and make sure that you have communicated how you want everything. Communicating what’s important to you when it comes to each part of the process is how you can ensure that you have the custom built home of your dreams.
Each custom option does come with a price tag, however, and that’s why you also want to prioritize. You can go over your priorities with the building contractor to make sure that your budget goes towards the amenities of your choice. Talking over material choices and more can also save and free up money for other parts of the building process, too. So keep in mind that the more time you dedicate to talking things over, the better home that is built.
Sometimes building can seem like a bug task when there are so many parts of the home to consider and decisions to make. Take things slowly, a step at a time and just enjoy the fact that you get to have so much input about the design. That’s going to work in your favor for sure when the custom home is complete and it’s move in day. Quality custom homes might require a bigger time investment and a little more money, but you are getting the home of your dreams. After securing the best local building contractor, it’s time to break ground and lay the foundation for your new home.